How-to Guide: Editing Your Resume
1. What do I need to edit my resume templates?
- It is best to download and edit your resume on a computer or laptop.
- Microsoft Word (PC & Mac) and Apple Pages (Mac).
2. Where can I get Microsoft Word or Apple Pages?
- Apple Pages is a FREE word processing program available in your Mac App store. Please use most recent version.
- Microsoft Word FREE DEMO:
3. Download your resume bundle.
- Your files are all contained in a zipped folder.
- To open your zipped folder, simply right-click with your mouse and select UNZIP from dropdown menu. You can also double-click on the zipped folder to have it open.
- NOTE: A computer or laptop is best to edit your resume templates. It is not recommended to edit your resume templates on a tablet or cellphone.
4. Open your files.
- Open Microsoft Word or Apple Pages.
- Go to your top menu. Select OPEN FILES. Go to your resume files. OPEN.
- If your files appear corrupt, re-download your files and update Microsoft Word by going to HELP menu and typing UPDATE in search bar. Make sure to restart your computer before re-opening new files.
5. How do you change the colors?
- All colors on your resume templates can be changed, yes!
- Double-click on your picture, opening a Format window.
- Go to Format Shape with color options in a window. Use your eye dropper to select a specific color.
- Are you trying to change an under-line color? Check to see if it is a border. Go to your Home menu. Borders. Border & Shading.
6. Can I change the text boxes, headings, or sections?
- Absolutely, everything can be changed, re-sized, moved, added or deleted. Having trouble? Write us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. How do I insert my profile picture?
- Double-click on resume picture. A side panel will open. Format Picture.
- At the top menu go to the bucket icon. Insert Picture From File.
- Insert your picture.
(a) Skewed? Select the tile picture option
(b) Too big? Keeping values the same use Scale X and Scale Y
(c) Off-centre? Offset X and Offset Y
8. My resume templates are finished but now everything is misaligned and messy. What can I do?
- Almost everything aligns with your margin.
- Go to Layout Menu. Align.
- First choose Margin, or the appropriate, and then the direction.
- Need help? email@example.com
9. How do I change my resume icons?
10. How should I send my resume templates?
- PDF is the standard format.
- Check the job advertisement to see if another file type is needed.
- Save resume template as a PDF. Go to FILE > SAVE AS > Select PDF from dropdown menu.
11. How do remove the white border for printing?
- Go to Page Setup. Settings.
- Under Page Attributes. Format for Any Printer. Paper Size. Manage Custom Sizes.
- Add new size. Name it: PDF borderless - 8.5 x 11; Non-Printable Area needs to say - User Defined. Change margins in boxes to 0.
- Save as PDF.
- Please Note: Some printers do not allow for a full colour bleed (color to the edge of the paper). If your printer does not, please go to your local printing store like Staples, Fedex, or Walmart.